The extensive remains of St Dogmaels Abbey lie close to the banks of the River Teifi near Cardigan, with wall foundations outlining where its impressive features once stood. It was built near the site of the pre-Norman church of Llandudoch. Its library was once famous, and included the 13th-century volume Eusebius’ Historia Ecclesiastica, now in St John’s College, Cambridge.
The abbey was first founded as a priory between 1113-1115 but became an abbey in 1120. Surviving remains include arches, doorways, the crypt, and the west and north walls of the church. Floor tiles found along the nave amongst the abbey ruins are 15th century in date. The abbey itself was enlarged throughout the centuries, including a new infirmary and chapter house. These additions continued into the 16th century and the Dissolution of the Monasteries, after which it became a private house.
Medieval architectural remains discovered around the abbey are on display in the museum and visitor centre, together with some early Christian stones.
Facilities include a cafe in the Coach House selling snacks, tea and coffee.
Admission is free, with a small fee to enter the stones collection.
No smoking. Dogs are welcome on a lead. Under 16s must be accompanied by an adult.
Need a place to stay?
Take a look at our wonderful holiday cottages in St Dogmaels.