Wiston Castle’s evocative remains consist of an early twelfth-century motte and bailey. Partially surrounded by trees and with views over the lovely Welsh countryside, in wet seasons the motte is partially encircled by water. Atop the motte are the stone remains of a Norman shell keep.
The castle is in the little village of Wiston, near Haverfordwest, close to the mid-twelfth century church of St Mary Magdalene. It is thought to have been built by a Flemish settler called Wizo, who gave his name to the castle. The lord would have lived in wooden or stone quarters within the bailey.
Around AD 1220, the Wiston Castle was destroyed by Llywelyn the Great, before being rebuilt by the Earl of Pembroke. The site was abandoned in the thirteenth century when the current owner, Sir John Wogan, moved to nearby Picton Castle. It was later used for defensive purposes by Royalists in the English Civil War.
Dogs welcome if on a lead. There is a car park but no other amenities. Currently maintained by Cadw.
Need a place to stay?
Take a look at our wonderful holiday cottages in Pembrokeshire.