The River Teifi, which flows along the borders of Ceredigion and Carmarthenshire, is 75 miles long and runs from the mysterious Teifi Pools (Llyn Teifi) in the Cambrian Mountains down to the sea at Cardigan. The steeply wooded valleys of tributaries like the Ceri and the Cych are supposedly where a magical waterfall hides the entrance to the underworld of the Mabinogion.
There is plenty to keep the visitor occupied: the area is a paradise for walkers, cyclists, fishermen and bird watchers. There is canoeing at Llandysul and Cilgerran.
One jewel is the extensive waterfall and rapids complex at Cenarth Falls. Adjacent is the famous Coracle Museum. Coracles are light-weight boats of bent sticks and waterproofed hides which are paddled with great skill. The annual coracle races attract competitors from all over the world. Fishing is good with salmon, trout and grayling. Salmon can be seen jumping near the 200-year old bridge.
In the north at Tregaron is the Red Kite Centre. Further south, there are the Victorian woollen mills of Drefach Felindre and site of the Welsh Wool Museum.
At Cilgerran, the National Trust castle is open to visitors. It dates from 1110 and overlooks a river gorge painted by Turner.
Each of the delightful market towns and villages along the way has an interesting tale to tell with most of the traditional architecture still untouched.
Before reaching Cardigan the river passes through reed-beds and water meadows home to otters and badgers.
Need a place to stay?
Take a look at our wonderful holiday cottages in Teifi Valley.