High over a gorge of the River Teifi, so close to the edge that large parts of the outer wall have fallen, Cilgerran Castle presents two massive round towers built of the thin slatey stone available to the landward side. These were the key defences because the castle stands on a promontory between the Teifi Gorge and the smaller but still precipitous gorge of the Plysgog stream. It has an obscure early history, probably a Norman foundation after 1100. It fell to Lord Rhys, Prince of South Wales, in 1165, was retaken by the Earl of Pembroke in 1204 and contested until 1223 when the next Earl of Pembroke recaptured it. It was then rebuilt, beginning with the two towers, in front of which a ditch was hacked out of the bedrock of the promontory.
Throughout the year, events are held at the Castle, including the annual Medieval Festival and live performances in the summer organised by Theatre Mwldan, usually including Shakespeare and performances for children.
Cilgerran Castle is under the guardianship of Cadw – The Welsh Assembly Government’s historic environment service.
Dogs on leads are allowed.
Need a place to stay?
Take a look at our wonderful holiday cottages in Cilgerran.